Friday, June 11, 2010

Vuvuzela Nation

Greetings from Johannesburg.

If you've been following the build-up to the World Cup, you may have heard of the controversy surrounding vuvuzelas - the plastic horns that South African fans are very fond of. They are controversial because, in short, they are LOUD. More that one hundred decibels. According to the announcer at the game today, they're as loud as a chainsaw. Thus, some players and coaches are concerned about playing in stuadiums containing upwards of 60,000 of them. Now that I've arrived here, I can confirm that the vuvuzelas are not as bad as people have predicted.

They are a million times worse.

Look, it's annoying when they're on TV, and I'm sure that they will be annoying when I am in the stadium. The thing is, they are EVERYWHERE. When my flight landed at 6:30 in the morning, people were already blowing on them at the airport. By 8:30, the airport was deafening. On the streets, you see guys hanging out of cars blowing them. People are blowing them in the supermarket. I'm really, really hoping they'll put them away long enough for me to get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment