Monday, June 28, 2010

An Unpleasant Encounter

A few days ago I was sitting at the Wimpy using my computer to plan a trip to Rustenburg (the easy trip, not the unmitigated disaster). There, I chatted with an elderly white couple. The gentleman seemed extremely helpful at first, telling me about a few scenic spots en route to Rustenburg. Then the discussion got weird. He mentioned a flea market where I could buy lots of "flat-nose" artwork. I really hoped this didn't mean what I thought it meant. Unfortunately this was confirmed when he was telling me about his lovely community where they don't allow any "flat-noses, coloreds, or Indians."

I guess it's not totally surprising. The country is less than 20 years removed from apartheid and you're going to run into ignorami who haven't yet adapted to the new order. Still, it seems horrifying that some people would be comfortable expressing these views to a complete stranger from another country. I mean, I had already mentioned I was from Seattle, the most PC city in the world.

Oh, the gentleman also let me know about his problems maintaining an erection and called his wife/girlfriend "thick as pig s***."

No comments:

Post a Comment