Thursday, June 17, 2010

I Hate France

I was going to start this entry off with a joke, something like, "There are three situations in which I would cheer for France:"

1. -
2. -
3. They're playing Mexico.

The problem is, I actually can't think of any other scenarios in which I would want the French to win. France vs. North Korea? Go DPRK. France vs. Washington State University? I'm pulling for a draw. France vs. The Unholy Army of Satan? Trick question.

However, tonight France were playing Mexico, and so for the first and perhaps only time in my life I was cheering for Les Blues. What did I get in return? The most spineless performance in a French uniform since Philippe Pétain. Sure, Mexico's first goal was probably offside (just) and the penalty was a dive. But France showed zero heart and Domenech's team selection remains baffling. Abidal at center back? Didn't he learn from that at Euro 2008? Who the hell is Valbuena?

It looks like Mexico will progress with Uruguay. What a bummer. Oh well. Here's something to cheer me up:

No comments:

Post a Comment