Saturday, June 12, 2010

Fan Park, First Experience

After watching South Korea comprehensively outplay Greece in a 2-0 victory, I decided to wander over to the fan park down the street and check it out. I probably should have gone yesterday for the opening game, South Africa vs. Mexico, as I bet the atmosphere would have been great. However, I was knackered after my flight and I didn't think I'd be able to handle the vuvuzela assault.

I did, however, want to check out the Nigeria vs. Argentina game. Everyone I've talked to has been fascinated by Argentina in this tournament. With their pedigree - champions in 1978 and 1986 - and the talent they have, including World Player of the Year Lionel Messi, you wouldn't bet against them doing well. But never underestimate the power of Diego Maradona to cock something up horrendously. They barely squeaked into the tournament, and the media pressure has been relentless, so a disaster is entirely possible.

The atmosphere for the game was subdued. I was able to pick up a tasty (and cheap) mutton curry for dinner, then grab a seat on the sparsely populated grass lawn in front of the stage and two large televisions. Initially there was a funky African band playing, but they went off the stage as soon as the game started. The crowd, small though they were, were firmly behind Nigeria and cheered every shot and every save from the outstanding Vincent Enyeama. There was no evidence of the possible Argentine meltdown and they easily outplayed Nigeria. Though the result was only 1-0, it would have been much worse were it not for Enyeama.

Probably the most interesting part of the experience was meeting a Hungarian sports anthropologist who had studied in Nevada and was currently doing her dissertation on the Basque club Athletic Bilbao. Before meeting her I didn't even know that "sports anthropology" was an academic field, but I have to say, it sounds right up my alley. I got her contact information and I look forward to reading the results of her research in summer 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment