Thursday, June 17, 2010

Argentina vs. South Ko . . . Sorry, Korean Republic.

This game started off promisingly. I had purchased Category 3 seating (AKA, nosebleed) but John had extra Category 2 seats and was kind enough to pass one on to me. This meant I was just about level with the corner flag, 4 rows back. They were great seats, and I was close enough to get a great picture of the world's best player . . . no, not Lionel Messi.



After that, it was pretty much downhill. Argentina went ahead via an own goal from the abysmal Park Chu-young. Higuain doubled their lead with an (offside) goal. Just before half time, my man Lee Chung-yong capitalized on an error from Martin Dimichelis. Somebody please explain to me how this clown plays for Bayern Munich AND Argentina. I think I must be good enough for those teams.

Korea played well after half time, with Yeom Ki-hun inexplicably wasting a brilliant pass from Chung-yong and shooting into the side netting. Higuain added another (offside) goal on the break before wrapping up his hat-trick with his first legitimate goal.

The 4-1 scoreline looks bad but you have to remember that one of Argentina's goals was scored by a Korean and two others shouldn't have stood. One wonders if the Hand of God passed some cash to the referee.

No comments:

Post a Comment